Sunday, February 13, 2011

Congratulations to Egypt for Being Mubarak-Free

I think it was at Sunday here in the Philippines when ex-Pres. Hosni Mubarak stepped down. I wanted to post about it but I wasn't able to immediately, so here it is.

I watched the climax at CNN and I must say I'm very proud of the Egyptians. What they did at Cairo's Liberation Square shows two things: You don't need violence to bring someone down and the people, when united, no matter what color, race, creed or religion, are more powerful than any weapon on Earth, WMDs included.


I've been following the Egyptian crisis since day 1, I think that was roughly 18 days ago. Protests everywhere, internet outage, pro-Mubarak thugs on horses whipping protesters, flying rocks, makeshift clinics, journalists and people being arrested at their hotel rooms, Al-jazeera ransacked, and finally victory. With a very peaceful revolution – sans the rock-throwing, horsemen whipping, and thug attacks (all these are expected happen in the course of a revolution. At least they didn't pull guns and grenades on each other) – who says Muslims are violent?

So if you're an Egyptian, you should be very proud of yourself. Your nation has achieved what only a few countries in the world did. Egypt is now an elite member of what I like to call the Bloodless Revolution nations. With an army of people a million strong, who won't go down? Congratulations to you and more prosperity to your nation. God be with you.

'Till my next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment