Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Quick Delivery's Fatboy's Pizza Merienda – A Review

I just titled the post using words in three different languages: English, Italian and Spanish. That aside, we'll be talking about how something Italian was reinvented to please the Filipino palate.

History tells us that the humble pizza and pasta originated from Italy. These good eats have appeared in text books in the 16th and 13th century respectively. As old as they are, they're very dynamic, ever-changing, and never failed to appeal to the Filipino taste. You got to think, how much more appealing would pizzas and pastas be if they were "rewritten" specifically for us? My friends, I introduce to you Fatboy's Pizza Pasta.

It all started with a rather pleasant conversation with a female Quick Delivery agent. I told her who I was and that I was going to grab both the Hickory Chicken Bacon and Bacon Cheeseburger family pizzas of Fatboy's.  Y'know, these Quick Delivery folks, they do know how to speak with people. They speak audibly in a moderate pace and in a nice courteous tone, unlike some guys I know who speak 50 words a second you can't understand half of the time. Come to think of it the woman who answered my call, her voice, it makes me want to order more. But enough about that. After confirming my address and my orders, the agent told me that my food will arrive in approximately 90 minutes. That was 4:15PM. Oh and by the way, the Fatboy's Pizza Pasta branch that prepared my meal was the one in SM Mall of Asia. I live in Mandaluyong. Pasay to Mandaluyong. Whew. That shows you how dedicated the Quick Delivery team is on fulfilling their promise – they deliver to anyone.

Fast forward to 5:45PM: My pizzas arrived hot complete with a smiling Quick Delivery agent. I like people who always smile. They don't have that negative aura which makes life miserable. Anyway, I paid my dues then got inside the house, targets at hand.

Now I'm going to show you some of the aspects of Fatboy's Pizza Pasta so you won't be like "Uy anu yan bago san mo binili?" with your friends in case you dine out at Fatboy's. I'll be doing this for you so you won't have to. First of all, the box:


Definitely a beauty albeit still a plain square box. This one's a 14-incher, their family size. Good branding, instantly recognizable at sight. And notice the words written in red? Yeah. This one I'd like to present in American slang: "They be not kidding you when they sez` they pizzas be excellent in taste and value."

Next, the pizzas themselves. The first is the Bacon Cheeseburger and the bottom one is the Hickory Chicken Bacon. Looks delicious doesn't it? Well, you don't know what you're in for.


Let me tell you, these babies are definitely a piece of heaven. No, put that in all caps. HEAVEN.

Let's discuss the cheese first. You know the creamy, milky cheese Kraft uses on its Macaroni & Cheese dinner boxes? These pizzas' cheese combination tastes just like that. The moment my tongue touched the cheese, I was like "Oh man." Plus, it's not as tacky as the pizza cheeses you're used to. You don't need to extend your pizza 2 feet away from your mouth just to snap the pizza's cheese. At Fatboy's, all it takes is one big bite.

The pizza toppings are exactly what you'd expect from pizzas. You have to wonder, why won't pizza joints serve an all pizza toppings rice meal? I think it'll click with the Filipinos. Anyway, as you'll see in the photos, Fatboy's seems to have cut back on mushrooms and whatnot. Or maybe their selections are not as wide as the other already established pizza joints, thus the lack of mushrooms. What they lack in ingredients they more than make up for in quality and taste. What you see here is a strong, rising star in the pizza and pasta world. Heck, I won't be surprised if their chains suddenly pop up at malls like mushrooms (what's up with the mushrooms? Hah.)


Lastly, the dough itself. Will you forgive me if I call it pizza bread? Because y'know, when dough cooks it's called bread. Pizza dough, pizza bread? No? Okay, fine. Anyway, Fatboy's Pizza Pasta pizza dough is not greasy. And when I say it's not greasy it's really not greasy. Most of the time when I eat other pizzas I get grease smeared all over my mouth and cheeks and my forehead. It's kind of irritating sometimes, especially when you gulp a glass of ice cold soda. The grease builds up in your lips. So irritating. But this Bacon Cheeseburger and Hickory Chicken Bacon, bah. Just grab one yourself and you'll see what I mean. And seemingly as an added bonus, the lesser the grease the healthier the eats! Yey for health buffs! Yey for calorie-conscious women!

I almost forgot about the crust. The pizza crust of these two are edible. By that I mean it's unlikely you would leave them out because they're not as tough and as chewy as other basic pizza models out there. You could really eat it and the taste is still there unlike those ones that taste like burnt bread.

Wait, have I told you that these 14-inchers sell for P265.00 each? Yes! At P265.00 you have a formidable opponent to chow down at your table! I only ate three slices and I was down for the count. I wasn't even having soda with it (soda makes you feel full faster when taken with a meal). As much as I want to munch all the slices down my belly, I can't. I'm full. In fact, only one slice was taken from the Hickory Chicken Bacon box. Expect those slices to be gone come this morning though. Fatboy's Pizza, anyone?

Just a sec. I'mma tell you a little secret. Look at the photo below:


You see that tiny silver sachet? That thing contains what pizzas need to give you full satisfaction: Hot sauce. It might be silver now but I'm expecting in the near future that they'll brand their hot sauce sachets with their own design.

It was a good experience all in all. I give Fatboy's Pizza Pasta an 8/10. Hey, it's still a relatively young brand. There's lots of room for improvement. In a couple of years time it'll be as established as say, Puzza Hit. or Shekay's. That's one way of putting it.

This meal wouldn't have reached my doorsteps if it weren't for the dedicated guys at Quick Delivery 21. Remember what I said a while back? That they deliver to anyone? 21, to anyone, 2any1? Does it ring a bell?


Speaking of Quick Delivery, they'll bring any food from any restaurant of your choice warm at your doorstep. Food from Orchard Road, copy. Anguses from Brothers Burgers, check. Sweets from Xocolat and BanApple, easy. With a roster of 139 partner restaurants, you could have Chinese, Italian, Filipino and American all at the same time before dinner time. All you need to do is dial 212-1212 on your phone and say what you want. As I've mentioned above, the Quick Delivery crew are very friendly. Just talk your heart away and order. You don't want it by phone? How about ordering online or texting them an SMS? Just head to their website and create an account. It's a piece of cake. They're ready to deliver 24/7/365. They've recently revamped their website too. Now you can download a small .pdf file and listed in it are all of their partner restaurants' menus. Really really handy.

Here's the downloadable .pdf menu of Fatboy's Pizza Pasta.

The best part is, if a snafu happens with your meals, Quick Delivery personnel will quickly contact you at a moment's notice and let you know. This is how professional they are. Now you don't need to grab your phone and call angrily for an order follow-up.

The next time you want a pizza, a pasta, or a rice meal as they case maybe, I suggest you order at Fatboy's Pizza Pasta. Try it. You won't regret it. A simple 212-1212 will do the trick.

For more information, log on to:

Fatboy's Pizza Pasta
www.fatboyspizza.com.ph

Quick Delivery 21
www.quickdelivery.ph


'Till  my next installment.

*Photos were taken with an Olympus Camedia C-50 Zoom

No comments:

Post a Comment